Foundation United Women Banja Luka is active in the area of prevention and combating gender based violence against women since its founding in 1996.
The Program focuses on following:
- Activities of public advocacy and increasing awareness on all forms of violence against women, and implementation of researches with focus on domestic violence, and other forms of violence in public and private life, independently and in cooperation with other nongovernmental organizations in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the region, and on the international level;
- Monitoring of laws and public policies at all levels in BiH, and public advocacy for adoption of laws and public policies that are focusing on protection of women’s rights on life without violence, as well as changes of discriminative legislation that is neglecting, endangering, or violating women’s human rights in this area;
- Monitoring of status of women’s human rights and gender equality in the area of protecting women from gender based violence through monitoring work of governmental and public institutions at all levels in BiH, preparation of monitoring reports, as well as alternative reports toward international mechanisms that are monitoring situation in this area (CEDAW, Council of Europe on Prevention and Fighting Violence Against Women and Domestic Violence, etc.);
- Providing continuous and gender sensitive support and assistance to women and children survivors of violence through services of SOS telephone, legal and psychosocial assistance and support, and the Safe House for Women and Children Victims of Violence;
- Strengthening capacities of women and men public servants and professionals that have responsibilities and authorities of working on prevention and combating gender based violence and support to multi-disciplinary approach;
- Joint work with other nongovernmental organizations in BiH, region, and on the international level in the area of preventing and combating gender based violence.