The Program is directed toward active public advocacy for increasing numbers and empowering influence of women in political decision making at all levels of governance and management in Bosnia and Herzegovina, ensuring public visibility of women’s views and violations of women’s human rights in the practice. Foundation “United Women” Banja Luka is implementing this program since its beginnings in 1996.
The Program includes:
- Public advocacy activities, and increasing public awareness on need of greater participation and influence of women in political decision making and governance with focus on ensuring visibility of the issues that women in Bosnia and Herzegovina are facing in public and political life, participation of women in political negotiations on issues that are important for peace building processes, organization of the country and democratic governance, independently and in cooperation with other nongovernmental organizations in BiH, region, and at the international level;
- Monitoring laws and public policies at all levels in BiH, and public advocacy for adoption of laws and public policies that are guaranteeing representation of women in political decision making and governance, as well as changes of discriminatory laws that are neglecting, violating, or harming women’s human rights in this area, and advocacy for implementation of the international standards in this area in BiH;
- Monitoring status of women’s human rights and gender equality in the area of representation and influence of women in decision making and governance at all levels through monitoring implementation of work of governmental and public institutions at all levels in BiH, preparation of the monitoring reports, as well as the alternative reports toward international mechanisms/instruments that monitor situation in this area;
- Networking of women politicians, women elected in legislative and executive governance, women representatives of governmental institutions at all levels, and women activists of women’s nongovernmental organizations through defining and implementation of joint initiatives and platforms of work on the issues of importance for women;
- Strengthening capacities of women politicians, women elected in bodies of legislative and executive governance, women representatives of governmental institutions at all levels, and women activists of women’s nongovernmental organizations for gender sensitive and responsible political and public work that places in focus protection of women’s human rights, and respects needs of women;
- Joint work with other nongovernmental organizations in BiH, region, and at the international level in the area of improving participation and influence of women in political decision making and governance.